In the context of the immediate future, businesses are transitioning towards skills-based recruitment and workforce development to unlock the transformative potential of new technologies.
The crucial question arises: for jobseekers and employers aiming for success in 2024, what skills should be developed?
In the evolving AI age, the most in-demand skills fall into two categories: those enabling the use of frontier technology and tools, and those maximizing human qualities that machines cannot match.
The following ten skill sets are considered valuable for the next 12 months and beyond:
- Generative AI: Skills to utilize generative AIs effectively, leveraging opportunities, managing change, and addressing ethical implications.
- Sustainability Skills: Abilities to identify and implement green solutions, reflecting the growing importance of sustainable business practices.
- Project Management: Skills to oversee and coordinate people, technology, and problem-solving, with AI tools offering assistance.
- Communication Skills: Proficiency in effective communication, interpreting data analytics, and interacting with machines in natural language.
- Clinical Healthcare Skills: Human qualities like emotional intelligence and empathy that are critical in healthcare, where full automation is distant.
- Data Skills: Expertise in transforming data into value and ensuring transparency and explainability for ethical AI use.
- Interpersonal Networking: Building networks based on trust and common goals, critical for personal development and growth opportunities.
- Cloud Computing Skills: Technical proficiency in assisting businesses with cloud migration amid the growing global demand for cloud services.
- Machine Learning Engineering: Technical skills to implement AI, remaining in high demand despite advancements in generative AI and self-replicating AI.
- Cybersecurity Skills: Skills related to building security and resilience to counter the increasing frequency and severity of cyber threats.
These skill sets are expected to be valuable in navigating the evolving landscape of technology and work in 2024.